Department of Architecture
About the Department
The Faculty of Architecture at DIT University helps the students to develop creative confidence with the courage to take creative risks and the knowledge and skills to discern the lasting value of such ideas. We wish to develop skilled professionals who design built environments that are ecologically sustainable and resilient; prosperous and fair; healthy and aesthetic.
We perceive architectural education to be an ever evolving link connecting nature, society and technology. Providing students with the latest technologies and equipping them with innovative and sustainable ways of handling these is our objective. The Institute, situated in the lap of nature, aspires to associate proactively with the objective of sustainable and appropriate architecture. We believe in grooming our students and pointing them in the direction of creating Architecture that achieves a balance between the built spaces and natural environment and also the societal contexts that it operates in.
The Architecture programme at DIT provides students with a comprehensive, professional and relevant architectural education. The programme focuses on:
- Encouraging students in academics through an interdisciplinary approach that prepares well-rounded professionals.
- Nurturing students in the exploration of Architecture and its divergent approaches, their creativity in design and their expressions of personal beliefs in their personal and professional activities.
- Inspiring students to demonstrate their commitment to our natural environment, sustainability and the development of a quality built environment.
We have been striving to and have succeeded in achieving this in the last 10 years that we have been in existence. Going forward and building on our past strengths, we wish our students to be equipped with a spirit of entrepreneurialism and innovation- the willingness to live with risk and uncertainty, adapt to and embrace change, and recognize being a life-long learner which will be a key to their success.
In the coming years, we propose to introduce more activities to enhance practical knowledge apart from the theoretical curriculum and make our approach to Architectural Education more hands-on and experiential. We also emphasise on imparting an education that puts Sustainable and Appropriate Architecture at its core, especially in the areas of Systemic and Ecological developments of Habitation and Urbanisation in the Himalayas.
USPs of the Faculty of Architecture, DIT University
- An increasingly vibrant Expert Interaction Programs (with Master Classes, Workshops, Guest Lectures etc.
- Being situated in dehradun, the Faculty of Architecture at DIT University is best placed for research in sustainability and environmentally robust architectural practices.
- Networked with other allied Premier Institutions of the region (like the Archaeological Survey of India, Indian Remote Sensing Institute etc.), we bring a multi-disciplinarity and exposure to the curriculum.
- An education that bridges Science, Technology, Art and Humanities , thus creating well rounded professionals.
- Research/Documentation/Graphics/Journalism and such related courses have been introduced to give a varied and vast choice as career options for a graduate in Architecture.
- As we expand and incorporate more specialized programs into our fold, we look forward to students who are creative, innovative and pioneering which is our vision for ourselves, our environment and our country.
The Faculty of Architecture at the DIT University completed 10 yrs in 2015. Started In 2005, the faculty has already seen 6 graduating batches leave its portals and join the fast growing professional field of architecture.
With the current push for economic & urban development, Architecture is one of the fastest growing professional fields in the country today. The graduates get absorbed in the field or have the option of pursuing higher studies in India or abroad.
- 5-day Joint Studio with SPA DELHI on Passive Architecture, Aug 2015
- NASA NATIONAL First Council Meet 23rd to 28th June 2015. Students of Faculty of Architecture organized a five day FCM, wherein about 350 students from various colleges of Architecture across the country participated.
- Nasa 2015:
- 1ST Position – Overall Zonal Trophy
- 1st Runner Up –Laurie Baker Design Trophy
- Special Mention – Industrial Design Trophy ( Portable, non-electricity Refrigerator)
- A National level QIP on Heritage Identification-Documentation-conservation in association with NIASA & INTACH.